Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Idli Vada

Idli and Vada are one of the most favourite South Indian breakfasts. Crispy Vadas, soft Idlis , with a Chutney and
Sambar make a deadly combination for breakfast.
Yesterday, I had been to Malleshwaram
in Bangalore to see my friend's new born baby. When we were about to leave, my friend and his mom asked me if I was going to stop at 'Veena Stores'. I told them that I had not heard that name earlier. They gave me a strange look and told me that it is the store next to the
hospital. I told them that I had noticed it while stepping in to the hospital and thought it was just a tea stall. My friend told me that it is a very old shop which is very famous forIdli and Vada . People flock at this place for a bite
whenever they pass by that street. It has been running for decades. This made me curious and wanted to check it out before I left. It is a very small shop, but a very busy one. I could seeat least 2 dozen people on the foot path either munching something or waiting for their turn to get food tokens. I too had to put up a struggle to get my token. Though it took me a while to get my token, the service was very fast. Because there is acontinuous demand for the snacks, the kitchen is busy continuously and hence there is a steady supply. And yes, I was not disappointed. Though Idli and Vada is a very simple snack, the chutney that is given with it makes it tastes good. The crispy Vada was really mouth watering.

I have decided that from now on whenever I go towards Malleshwaram, I will make it a point to go to Veena stores and eat Idli and Vada and also check out other snacks that he makes.
This place is also known for Shavige Bath, Uppit (Upma), Kesari Bath etc
Location: Near Malleshwaram 15th cross, Next to Lakshmi Maternity Home, Margosa Road.

No comments: