Sunday, December 16, 2007

BSNL Bangalore 2007 marathon

My aunt who works in BSNL called me to ask me, if I would be interested in taking part in the marathon conducted by BSNL. Without a second thought, I said 'YES'. There were several races that day - 42 km full marathon, 21 km half marathon, 5 km marathon run for charity, run for senior citizens and for physically disabled. There was representation from many countries.
I roped in my colleague Manju and my cousin Nanda for the run. The race was expected to begin at 9.00 am for which the reporting time was 8.00 am. Me and Manju reached in time and even had break fast at the venue. Nanda was as usual late and reached when the race was about to begin. We all got T-shirts and caps from BSNL - thanks to my aunt who arranged it.
I was not sure if my fitness level was good enough to complete the 5 km stretch. But I was able to complete the entire stretch of 5 km in one go without stopping for rest (I took 10 seconds break twice waiting for my friend to catch up). I could complete the run in 25 min - thats 5 minutes per km. I was amazed at my own performance.
We waited for others to finish the race. My aunt finished her 5 km stretch 15 minutes after we had completed. My uncle took part in the race for senior citizens.
There was a senior couple (husband 80 yrs and wife 69 yrs) who completed the 5 km stretch as well. There were hundreds of kids from various schools as well. They finished the race with much more ease.

1 comment:

Anil Rao said...

congrats on this effort. keep it going.

cheers
Anil