Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Customer satisfaction and Indian Banks

As there was never any competition, Nationalized banks in India never cared about customer satisfaction. But today, the Indian customer is more demanding. He has a wide range of banks to chose from. The Nationalized banks have to gear up for the competition.
I have a bank account which I have been operating from my childhood. As I grew up and started working, I started banking with private banks in India. The banking experience is so different now. The biggest advantage that the privatized banks have over the Nationalized banks today is phone banking and Internet banking. Nationalized banks are catching up but have a long way to go. I am really happy monitoring my account status, transferring funds, paying my utility bills, credit cards, etc., sitting in one place. I don't have to go to the bank. Now most of the Nationalized banks have core banking installed. I can transfer funds from my accounts with private banks to these, but I am still afraid to do so. The reason - no customer support (call center). Today, if I transfer funds between two privatized banks, I have a transaction number, through which I can always track the status by phone and Internet. But with nationalized banks, I have to run to the bank which is located in the other part of the city and when I land there, I have to go through a big Que, figure out whom to talk to and go past other hazels, only to realize that no one in the bank has a clue on whats happening. I have sometimes come across bank managers in Nationalized banks ( I really don't want to name the bank, but it is one of the biggest banks in India) who don't know how ECS works. For the same reason,I have to go to the bank every month to deposit cheques to repay my loan.
I do most of my personal work on the weekends including my bank work. But, when I land in these Nationalized banks on a Saturday with queries, the bank employees and managers (including chief manager, housing loan manager, and other managers) rudely ask me to come back on a weekday, because they have a lot of customers to cater to on the weekends. Is it my problem that the bank has more customers on weekends and they cannot handle them. Is it my problem when bank employees take vacation during other long weekends and summers. I always thought that I (customer) was the king. But, while dealing with these banks, one has to forget it. It was a surprising that when I went to the bank manager for a personal loan, he ignored me. Upon insisting, he asked me to come after a month and he would think over it ( couldn't expect that from a manager). I had to go to a privatized bank. They even sent a person over to my office. He made at least 4 visits to my office, to give the application form and collect it. He even filled up the form for me. Now who's the loser. And yes, I do repay my loan through ECS. Today a big chunk of the corporate world goes to private banks for housing loans, due to convenience, even thought the rate of interest is a little higher. People are ready to spend a few extra rupees for more services.
When I speak to some of these bank employees about why they treat their customers like this, they say that most of their staff is old and won't change their way of work for today's demanding customer. One classic defence they have is, 'we cater from pensioners to farmers. Does your MNC bank cater to them. Because we have a huge customer base, we can't scale up to those levels of MNC banks. MNC banks only cater to corporates'. Well that's your business decision to support farmers and pensioners. You have now a bigger reason to change. You have a huge customer base, don't lose them.
As a final note to these banks - Wake up and act fast. Customer is the KING. Treat him well, else he will chose some one else.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bookmarked this. Sometimes non-standard due to you after sharing. Positively benefit my time.

Anonymous said...

This is a great article as they all are. I bring into the world been wondering about this an eye to some measure now. Its notable to receive this info. You are fair and balanced.

Anonymous said...

This is a celebrated article as they all are. I from been wondering wide this for some beat now. Its notable to grow this info. You are fete and balanced.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

i truly love all your posting taste, very exciting,
don't give up as well as keep writing because it simply good worth to look through it.
impatient to find out far more of your current content pieces, goodbye ;)