Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Mungaru Male review

Yes, over all a watchable movie. A movie that can be watched with your family.
My personal rating - Average
Actor Ganesh and director Yogaraj Bhat have tried to replicate the Sharukhan-Karan Johar combination. Ganesh has desperately tried to imitate Shahrukh khan, putting up that sympathetic look/smile in every scene. He reminds me SRK when he tries to spread his arms wide open and the camera revolving around him. He has done it atleast a 2 dozen times.

There are lots of reviews on the web which are full of praises for this movie. This had set a very high expectation, though I had been asked to watch the movie without too much expectation.
The movie sequences were quite predictable. By interval I was under the opinion that the movie was crap. I even messaged some of my friends who had recommended this movie to me about how I felt. Some messaged back that I should watch the movie till the end before I passed my judgement, and some said, that I don't deserve to watch a good movie like this and should get out of the movie hall.

What created the above impressions are the following scenes.

- When a man falls in to manhole, does he think about cleaning himself or does he think about the girl.
- Hero sees the girl only once and that too for a short while and later makes heroic attempts (thats his job) putting his life in to danger, to recover a hand kerchief, when his mother is waiting alone for him in a deserted street. We see such stupid scenes in many Indian movies.
- When the hero feels very deeply for a rabbit just within 2 days of meeting and makes that desperate attempt to save its life by running on a railway track (even if you and I don't, the heroin is definitely impressed by this).
- when you see a train which is less than 50 mts of stopping not to slow down.
- I don't know any temple in karnataka where people carry their loved ones till the top of a hill. All the men were carrying women so effortlessly (my wife was giving me those nasty looks)
- When people speak to him, Ananth Nag replies as though he heard everything even though he is deaf.
- A scene is created where both hero and heroin get wet and the heroin has to change her clothes and look hot (an old movie trick used in many Indian movies. How can one forget Rajesh Khanna and Sharmila Tagore in Aradhana)

People generally tell me that I pass above comments because it is a kannada movie. I wouldn't have done that if it was a bollywood movie (they say). But thats wrong. Anything that is not up to the mark and take the movie goer for a ride will be critisized.

What pissed me off most about the movie was the death of the rabbit. Why did the director have to kill an innocent creature which really didn't have any significant role.

The Jog falls scene has been well shot. Songs are excellent. It is a good attempt from the director, but has to work on these small issues. The movie goer cannot be taken for a ride. I am happy that a kannada movie is breaking all box office records. This movie has pulled not only kannadigas but also non-kannada speaking crowds to the theathers which is remarkable. The movie industry should go ahead and make a lot more good movies.
Feel free to put your comments on the post, but please read the first line of this post before that.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Correct, i liked ( also my ) your questions.

Unknown said...

Correct, i liked ( also my ) your questions.

VijayGadwal said...

Every movie that is made, has some silly scenes like you have mentioned!
Movie is meant to be a movie!U cant expect everything to be real!
Tell me one movie that u rate highly and I can point out 10 such
instances in that movie!

Anonymous said...

Good! you found so many mistakes, I can point out a few more but you also made an attempt to watch the movie right. That says it all. Movies are just time passes that brings you sometimes out of realities. You know that 3 hours of Mungaru Male has changed so many Karnataka youths from being violent to their loved ones. I just enjoyed the movie, songs and did not think about any logic and this also being my first kannada movie in theater after a very long gap, I enjoyed it.

Raghu said...

Take it easy dude. Not every movie is meant for everyone. Some like and some dont like.
This movie has been liked by most of people. It is a clean movie, with some good characterization.
Movie making is like cooking, it clicks sometimes and is liked by lot of people sometimes.
This movie is not a masterpiece , but a master stroke. It has appealed to lot of people. Everyone seems to enjoy.
Mistakes should never be the reason you like a movie or not, but whether you were really moved by the movie or not. Movies cant be scientific docus (the closest to being real).
My personal experience - if a movie makes me laugh or cry - I will call it good. If I remain indifferent or get irriatated it is bad.

rgds,
Raghu.

Anonymous said...

It's pretty obvious that you wrote this blog just for nitpicking and finding faults. Otherwise you wouldn't have made silly comments like there are no temples in Karnataka where you carry your wife. Come on, is there any rule that everything shown in a movie should be there in the real world? Is there any university where they teach love as in your favorite SRK movie or do you know sixers in cricket didn't even exist at that time portrayed in Lagan? Search for movie mistakes in google and you can find hundreds and hundreds on each and every movie. It surprises me that you deliberately forget to mention about the music and lyrics. I'm not a big fan of nitpickers; they never amuse me.

V. Manohar said...

Yes its true that how can one forget Super Star Rajesh Khanna and Sharmila Tagore in Aradhana . Rajesh Khanna is the greatest living legend & the real and only Super Star of Indian Cinema.